Saturday, October 28, 2017

What are You REALLY Trying to Do?

Back in the Nineties, when I was working in Silicon Valley - I desperately wanted to ask everyone this - especially the people I was working with. What are you spending your life doing?

I grew up with a friend in Ft. Madison, Iowa. I became an Electronic Engineer, working in Radar - while he was working in the Pentagon. I became a moderate success - but he became a huge success.

There was so much money sloshing around in the Pentagon - some of it couldn't help sticking to you. You don't have to be dishonest yourself, you just have to let other people, be somewhat dishonest.

He knew he wanted to be a success - and he knew how to do that. By contrast, I wasn't sure what I wanted to do - and Success didn't know how to find me.

Now, looking back on it - I'm satisfied with the little money I have left. And wouldn't trade my life for his, with all his money.

But if I were asked what I was trying to do I would say "Live a pleasant and useful life."

No comments:

Post a Comment