Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Click Here, to Kill Everybody

When I was informed by Amazon, that I had bought this book - I thought they were wrong.

I had to look closely at name of the author, Bruce Schneier, to get myself oriented. I read his blog every week - and he had mentioned there, that he had a new book. So naturally, I bought it.

And I can see we are in big trouble. But trouble we can easily understand, if we take the trouble to think about it.

I can summarize it here: there are computers embedded in everything - and they are all connected to the Internet. This is sometimes called IoT - the Internet of Things.

Every car now has dozens of these, and getting more all the time. This allows the companies that make these cars - to monitor the performance of these cars, as they are being driven. And gather much more information, as well. Information that they can sell.

But security was not designed into this System. This would have required the attention of some highly-paid security professionals, that the manufacturers of these products could not afford. And a government that enforces these security procedures, for everyone.

So what we have is a mess instead. Something we are so used to, we don't give it a second thought.

A mess that could kill everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment