Saturday, September 15, 2018

Consciousness and the Unconscious

In my old age (70) I have been forced to think about this, whether I wanted to or not. My sense of balance has been impaired, and I can no longer ride a bicycle.

Our sense of balance requires some conscious thought - perhaps at the border line between the conscious and the unconscious.

I have found some conscious processing to impair my sense of balance - but so far, have not been able to predict which activities will do this.

For example, I went to my closest grocery store to buy some hand soap. I found it easily enough, but  when I got to the checkout lane (there was only one of them) another customer was ahead of me.

She had a shopping cart full of groceries, and it was taking a long time for her to scan all of them. I had to stand there, and wait for her to finish.

This is a common occurrence down here - standing in line, waiting for something to happen. And I never thought anything about it. But I was getting tired, and my internal batteries were being depleted.

I have found this analogy useful - having internal batteries. With old age making them smaller.

In this case, I simply went home with my little bag of soap - and got one of them ready for my next shower. But I will be more careful in the future, and shop where there are multiple checkout lanes.

There are two other grocery stores in town, and this will not be a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment