Sunday, September 23, 2018

Rape in Arlington, Texas

Washington Post

The first reaction to this article will be "It's too complicated for me to understand!"

Which, I am sure, is just a way of saying "I don't want to go into this filthy stuff, whether it is true, or not!"

Which is another way of saying "Don't you know who is running things? It is us, and we are messing things up - to our heart's content!"

That night Wyatt was buoyant, thrilled and on the young side for the night’s crowd, mostly juniors and seniors. She had a natural beauty, golden-skinned with long, dark hair. She had always been athletic and happiest on teams, playing soccer and participating in competitive cheerleading. She was wildly sociable, with A’s and B’s in school and an overwhelming urge to be liked. She was earthy and indelicate, not remotely shy; friends came easily, and she leaned on their approval. Arlington cheerleaders were, by many accounts, a hard-partying crowd, and Wyatt partied with the hardest of them, drinking with her friends and occasionally indulging in drugs such as Xanax and marijuana.

One thing this article does not mention, is the presence of many lies - on many levels. Lies on top of lies. Meant to disorient the viewer. And for the most part, they are successful. 

I did not grow up in Texas, I grew up in Ft. Madison, Iowa, from a religious family. And I was completely familiar with its own kind of lies. And how disorienting they were. But I never accepted them. 

I cannot pose as someone better than others. I wasn't. I was just different, and that difference made a difference. 

No comments:

Post a Comment