Thursday, September 13, 2018

Democracy is not Working

Because too many forces are working against it.

Now that I have said that, it is reasonable to ask: what are these forces? And I run into huge difficulties, because they are difficult to describe. They are powerful, but cannot be easily analyzed.

They have a strong emotional appeal, but have bypassed our logical minds completely.

I can see this a matter of religion, including the religion of my family - Mormonism. That was a product of the Second Great Awakening, and Industrialization early in the 19th Century. A religious event and an economic event, and the two affected each other. To create a complex that is hard to describe. But can be easily seen - all one has to do is point at it, in all of its manifestations.

But the people asked to see this, can easily say "I don't see it, you must be making this up, just to scare me!"

We are now, well into the 21st Century. And the forces that have shaped us, are different. But the result is the same - people are not interested in Democracy. And something similar to Fascism, is on the rise.

And most people cannot see this.

No comments:

Post a Comment