Monday, September 10, 2018

I worked for the last American robotics company

This was in Silicon Valley in the Nineties. Right now, I can't even remember the name of the name of the company.

It was formed by two engineers from Stanford University. One of the engineers did the Hardware, and one did the Software.

When I joined the company, it was still making its robots - but not selling many of them, because they were expensive to make. I took one look at their Software, and could tell it was a mistake.

The company had no future. the Japanese robotics companies, that used a better technology, were putting them out of business.

I tried to tell the company about this - but they fired me instead.

This became a pattern - I worked for company after company, that was doomed - but didn't want to know about it.

Of all the companies in the Valley (hundreds of them) only a few survived - Apple, Amazon, Google, and Microsoft.

I just thought of a better title for this posting - Silicon Valley was built on the Graves of Hundreds of Companies.

No comments:

Post a Comment