Friday, September 28, 2018

Dante for 99 cents

Amazon

I am listening to an online course, on Dante's Divine Comedy taught by two instructors, who have taught the same course in a prison setting. I am also reading it on my Amazon Fire, and I can switch easily between listening my laptop and reading it, on my Fire.

I can only listen to it, for half an hour at a time, more would overwhelm me - and no doubt the prisoners felt the same way. But it's easy to take in small doses.

After a while, I wanted to read it for myself, and found this translation on Amazon. It is composed of stanzas of three lines each, organized into Cantos. Right now, I have reached the fifth Canto - and believe me, it is rich stuff.

He wants to drag in everyone, that has existed at anytime. A modest person he was not.

No comments:

Post a Comment