Friday, September 28, 2018

Tico Tamales

Tamales are Latin American food, and each country makes them differently.

The main ingredient is Masa, corn flour - but almost anything else can be added to it. Most commonly pork or chicken.

In Mexico, they are wrapped in corn husks. But in Costa Rica they are wrapped in the leaves of the Platino, a close relative of the Banano - and I am sure you know what that is.

The fruit of the Banano is sweet, and is sold all over the world. The fruit of the Platino, is not sweet, and is usually fried, before eating. And is consumed, in some parts of Latin America.

I bought my Tamales from a vendor, who patrols the streets, with his loudspeakers blaring. I wanted to see if I liked them. I did. The taste is a little different, which is what you would expect.

And I can say, truthfully, that I have become more like a Tico (a citizen of Costa Rica).

No comments:

Post a Comment