Saturday, September 22, 2018

They don't want Good Computers

And by they, I mean most people.

Ortega y Gasset discovered the Masses in 1930. But never put his discovery to good use, and didn't even recognize it when Fascism took over Spain, his own country - forcing him to spend WWII in South America.

Forgive me, for such a long-winded explanation - but he did discover a new kind of social interaction, that also affects our attitude toward Computers. The Masses (which are most people) have reacted strangely to the introduction of the Computer in their lives.

They regard it as competition, that they do not want. And for that reason, do not want to make them better, but want to keep them as they are - or even make them worse, if they could.

Now that I have put that down, in black and white - I can see a kind of logic in it. Or maybe a kind of anti-logic.

There is a switch in our brains, I think, that can easily flip us between the two kinds.

No comments:

Post a Comment