Sunday, September 23, 2018

They have produced a Defective Product

And they do not care.

I noted this frequently, when I worked in Silicon Valley in the Nineties. The companies I worked for turned out defective products - and never gave this a second thought.

Twenty years later, beginning in 2010, companies began to consider ethics. The companies that were left, that is - mainly Apple, Amazon, and Google (and Microsoft, in some of its products). All the other companies (hundreds of them) were gone.

Had the world become more ethical, during this period? No, but Software Development had, because what it was doing had changed. And this takes some explaining.

Some Software practices became universally accepted. And any new practices have to be compatible with them.

For example, I am now learning the R programming language, because I am taking some DataCamp courses. It has clever exercises, in their learning environment, that teach you have to use R, quite painlessly.

It is saying "If you want to be successful, in Software Development - you have to do things this way." You will not die, if you do not - you will just go out of business.

Hundreds of new startups still try to do things their way - and they go out of business.

I just ordered a power battery card for my digital camera - that does not work. And the manufacturer, has not bothered to apologize. They took my money (I bought it from Amazon) and they gave me nothing in return. Hopefully, it will go out of business also. taking my $10 with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment