Tuesday, May 15, 2018

I'm Trying Something New in Aeropost

Aeropost is the service that gave me an address in Miami, that my online purchases could be sent to. They then fly these purchases to Costa Rica, send them through Customs, and deliver them to the nearest large town, Cartago. And charge me plenty for their services. A letter, for example, costs me 84 cents, minimum.

They love to see me walk in the door - because I represent money, the precious American dollar. I may not be much in the States, but I am important down here.

They now allow me to purchase $600, every 6 months - tax free. The local merchants hate this, and tried their best to block it - but the Central American Free Trade agreement, that passed recently, made it possible, once again.

Aeropost has a web site, that is really quite good - and lets you manage all your purchases there. As soon as a purchase is shipped in the States, you notify Aeropost that it is coming to Miami, providing them with a tracking number, and an invoice. They do everything else, charge my credit card, for their services - and let me know, when it is available in Cartago.

I bought a Windows 10 laptop (tax rate 13%), from Amazon, for $286, and decided to get it tax-exempt. I filled out the necessary paperwork, and it arrived in Miami last Thursday. As of today (Tuesday), it has not been flown to Costa Rica, yet!

I continue this account on May 19, and what I have to report is not good. Costa Rica Customs does not want to do the tax exempt imports, that it is required to do by law. It requires many forms to be completed, with multiple copies of each.

I had to take my laptop to the Cartago office of Aeropost, and let the woman there, who speaks English, use it to print the required forms, that I had to sign, over and over. She then informed me, that it would be two weeks, before my new laptop, would be delivered!

She is not aware that come organizations exist to serve their users, and some organizations only exist to serve themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment