Friday, May 11, 2018

The Market was Responsible for a Huge Burst of Creativity and Innovation

This thought struck me, once again, as I was using my espresso machine this morning, to make this morning's coffee. This is a marvelous machine, full of amazing parts, that cost me little.

One can quibble about whether to credit the Industrial Revolution, or the Market, for this. I prefer the Market, because I can understand it better. Revolutions come and go - but the Market is still with us. I can still see it in operation today. New Computer companies appear all the time, eager to get rich, and using the Market to help them.

Many of these marvelous new products are not that at all - but the Market quickly sorts them out, and sends most of them to the dust bin. Most of them - but not all of them, the market is not perfect. There is still of lot of crap, of all kinds, out there.

Including, most importantly, an exaggerated belief that the Market is all-important and will make all our most important decisions for us. Removing us from the necessity to think for ourselves.

And this burst of innovation, in the 19th and 20th Centuries has produced a strange effect on people in the 21st Century. They no longer want it - and are trying to turn the clock back, instead. To a time when life was simpler.

They are electing leaders, of dubious quality, that will do their thinking for them - and remove this burden from them.

I refer you to US Iran policy is driven more by psychology than geopolitics. Some clear thinking, that most Americans will not read.

No comments:

Post a Comment