Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Not Real People in a Not Real World

I could have entitled this Unreal People in an Unreal World but using two words Not Real, instead of Unreal, made what I wanted to say, more explicit.

These are people who have gone through a strange metamorphosis, the strangest ever - that they are completely unaware of.

And are determined to be unaware of - because this is crucial to their identity - and, in their opinion, to their success, as a group.

This change began back in the middle of the 19th Century - when they were overwhelmed by a flood of new inventions, and new organizations - the Railroads, the Steamships, and the Factories. All of which were more important than they were. And which functioned better, if they did not exist.

So they ceased to exist! And considered this their finest achievement.

This the world I was born into, in 1936. That I did not like at all. It was ignoring me! And I thought I was important!

But I was getting a different message "The Organization was important, not the people in it!" And this message was brought home with brutal efficiency. Anyone who who stood out, was squashed like a bug!

But lately, since about 2010 - the world has been organized around Software. And Software has a different attitude towards People. It thinks they are important - if they can contribute to its development. Which is not hard - even I have made my feeble contribution!

No comments:

Post a Comment