Friday, September 15, 2017

What People Want Most

The people I am referring to here, are the Americans I grew up with, in the Fifties. In a time when their values were changing - and they were doing their best to not see this - or much of anything at all.

My first job was with the Federal Aviation Agency, as a newly graduated Electronic Engineer. in 1959. What I saw there amazed me - these were people on a gravy train, getting as much gravy as they possibly could! They did keep the planes flying - but they did this in a way designed to benefit them the most!

This was the dominant pattern - a group serving the public, while really serving themselves. And the dominant group was quickly becoming: Business. Big Business at first, but soon any kind of business, as long as it was the right kind - one that grabbed everything it could, regardless of the ethics of the situation.

When I went to work for the Computer Industry, in the Eighties, I saw the same thing going on - Computer companies, who were advancing new technologies (the good part) while ripping everyone off (the bad part).

Now that I am retired, and living in Costa Rica, I can see the same struggle going on - in Software, of all places! And the struggle here is brutal - if you do not play along with them, they will kick you out of the nest - as Microsoft has done for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment