Friday, September 15, 2017

The Implosion of the Global Economy

I know what an implosion sounds like.

Back in the Sixties, I was working as a Factory Inspector for the FAA. It was buying huge displays from Raytheon, about five feet in diameter - that would show the progress of airliners, as reported by FAA radar's. FAA controllers would push little plastic squares (called shrimp boats) along with the images on the displays. All this was done in darkened rooms (as had been done ever since WWII).

Factory workers were mounting this horizontal display in its wooden frame - when BOOM, it imploded - with a noise like a 12 gauge shotgun going off. They were fully protected, and suffered no injuries - but everyone in the room got a bad scare.

Compare this with
The world is now pocked with cities perched on top of bombs.
From the book: Boomerang. After reading it, I can see why a lot more people should be scared. And why people avoid going into downtown San Jose, the capital of Costa Rica - they can feel the bomb is about to go off. My home town, of Ft. Madison, Iowa - is a town where the bomb has already gone off. And where no one knows this.

I got this book in a roundabout way. I bought an Amazon Fire tablet, that had a Good Reads app on it - and I got this book from there, for free!

It's entertaining reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment