Monday, September 4, 2017

Socially Unaware

I am still trying to understand Americans - because I still am one - even though I have moved out of the country.

I wanted a simple description of them, and this is the best I have come up with, so far. They are Socially Unaware.

This even applies to professional people-watchers, who should know better. Such as Paul Bloom, who wrote Just Babies: The Origins of Good and EvilHe is an academic, and has never had a real job - where he would have been exposed to adults, who are not innocent little babies

By contrast, I can recommend the NY Times article Is Houston Still a Model City? Its Supporters Aren’t Backing Down.

I have to ask myself "Are both of these groups, members of the same species?" The answer has to be "They are members of different subspecies - that hardly recognize each other."

What I am saying here, is nothing new - people have been this way for a very long time - probably forever. We know what group we belong to - and this affects all our social interactions.

In our time, two groups have evolved - those that think, and those who do not think - the larger group, by far. Among their other traits, it can definitely be said that - they are not socially aware.

No comments:

Post a Comment