Friday, June 8, 2018

My Attempts at Being a Programmer

This is all about Programming, if you are not interested in that - you will not be interested in this.

I have spend most the day trying different approaches to learning to become a Software Developer (a Programmer, in other words) - just as a hobby. Some hobby! 

I first heard of a book about Angular 5 and .NET Core. I loaded the book into my Safari account - but it didn't take long before I realized it was too hard for me. I even cancelled my Safari account. 

Next I searched and found some instructions for using Visual Studio, and .NET core. I downloaded the Visual Studio installer, Then tried to install Visual Studio, with the required Workloads.This has taken all afternoon - and I could not cancel this installation.

Then I found some instructions for using VS Code in Azure (Microsoft's cloud, where I already have a free account). I installed node.js - a fairly long install.  I had already installed VS Code, but I now had to install the functions that would let VS Code work inside Azure. This took some time, but eventually it was installed also. 

I followed the instructions up to the point where I was supposed to create a Function in Azure - but I here the instructions departed from what I saw on the screen, I could not continue, and I could not report this problem. My attempts to use VS Code in Azure was over - completely.

So I went back to using Visual Studio 2017, and here the instructions are working fine. I start ed a project in Angular, but had no idea what I was looking at - and could find no help online about using Angular in Visual Studio.

I installed git.

I went to angular.io, and are following the instructions for using the Angular CLI. I don't like using a command line interface, you have to type everything in very carefully - but other than that, it's easy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment