Wednesday, June 6, 2018

People Sometimes Hurt Other People - for No Reason at All

We like to believe there are reasons for everything - including reasons for human behavior. If someone does something strange - there must be a reason for this. Even when there are plenty of examples to the contrary.

Let me give you an example. Once a month, I go to the local payments center, and pay for my health insurance. This is a hassle, I know - but this is how things are done in Costa Rica. People line up, at one of these centers, to pay for almost everything.

The first week of every month, I pay for my cell phone, and pay for my health insurance. I have copies of previous payments, and I hand them through the window to the clerk of the other side. She is supposed to make this month's payments, add them up, and then tell me how much I owe. I hand over several large bills, and she gives me back the change.

But they often, only make the cell phone payment, and throw the other bill away. Not noticing what they are doing! My Spanish is so inadequate, I cannot explain what is going on - and I have to return, later the same day, with another receipt for my health insurance - which they will then process correctly.

What is going on in their minds? It has to be their unconscious minds. Some algorithm (to use Computer terminology) is being triggered - and they do whatever it tells them to do.

Perhaps they see I am a gringo, and they take this opportunity to get even. But I am only guessing here.

No comments:

Post a Comment