Sunday, October 28, 2018

Comparing Emerson to Heidegger

I am reading The Complete Ralph Waldo Emerson - and comparing him to Heidegger, which I have read, and also read about.- not very favorably. He has been denigrated as the forerunner of all that is bad in modern society. I would be flattered to be considered so important!

Emerson begins with this poem:

A subtle chain of countless rings
The next unto the farthest brings;
The eye reads omens where it goes,
And speaks all languages the rose;
And, striving to be man, the worm
Mounts through all the spires of form.

He is not considered one of the famous American poets - but this is not bad!

I can now get all his works for $1.99, in the Kindle format. I am not sure if he would have approved of this, but that hardly matters - as he is dead and gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment