Monday, October 8, 2018

How ATM machines work in Costa Rica

I am figuring this out, the hard way, after an ATM machine took my credit card, and kept it.

Banks in Costa Rica (such a Scotiabank) have ATM machines inside their buildings, or right next to them. But there are also ATM machines owned and operated by other companies, located in other places. These are used to dispense cash from credit cards.

When a user inserts his credit card, and asks for money, the machine contacts the bank that owns the card, asking if it has that much in that account. And if it does, it tells the bank it is removing that amount from the account. It then dispenses that amount of cash, to the user, from its private stock, inside the machine.

It is functioning here as an Internet of Things device (IoT), that are becoming more common all the time - but also have many problems. As I found out myself.

I went to Scotiabank to get my credit card back. And they have contacted the company that owns and  operates the ATM, asking for my credit card. Four days later (one banking day), I have heard nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment