Thursday, October 18, 2018

Talking to People who are Not Here

I keep saying this, over and over - our biggest problem is not being here. This is such a simple idea, most people cannot grasp it. "What do you mean?" they will say, if they say anything at all. Usually, all I get is a blank look. .

You cannot explain something to people they have never experienced. Your words will mean nothing to them. Perhaps an example will help.

A few years ago, I discovered, to my surprise, that I was not interested in sex. When sex had always been important to me, very important. What was going on?  I don't know, but the more I think about it, the more I realize how fundamental this decision was.

My mind did not make it, that's for sure - but my body did. I wasn't just rejecting sex, I was rejecting a lot more - the whole culture I was in. And my body has a long memory.

Your response to this will be simple "That's your problem, fella, but what does it have to do with me, or anyone else?" My response is "One of our fundamental abilities, as humans, is the ability to decide what we want to do - and if we do not have this ability, we are not human, we do not exist."

We may look like people, and act like people, but inside we are empty - and we become depressed, and even suicidal. We ask ourselves "What's the purpose in living?" Or "Why go on?"

Or we look to other people, to give our lives meaning. And we are not too particular about who we choose. At one time, the Germans chose Hitler - and recently Americans have chosen Trump. Not very smart choices, but they were desperate.

I could reason with them, but I would be wasting my time, and theirs. Reasoning is not done, in their world, and they have no desire to start doing that.

No comments:

Post a Comment