Friday, October 5, 2018

I lose my Credit Card

What a day yesterday was!

I went to Cartago, the nearest large town to do my weekly shopping. My Wells Fargo account had been replenished by Social Security on Wednesday, the day before - so I decided to use my credit card to the get cash I needed for the rent.

I was also raining, not too hard, but enough that you needed to use an umbrella. I had a small one tucked into my day-pack, that should have been good enough. But I could not get it to open properly. As a result, I was getting rather damp, trying to get a taxi in Cartago. When it rains, taxis are hard to get.

But I did get to the Walmart store where I do my weekly shopping. It has a much better selection than the stores in Orosi, where I live. It also has an ATM, where I could use my credit card to get the cash I needed. I inserted my card, and started to go through the process of getting my cash - but the machine shut down, and displayed an Out of Order sign - with my credit card still in it!

So I took a taxi to the Scotia Bank that owned the machine, and waited patiently to see a teller. The one I got, could speak no English, but one that could, quickly came to my rescue, and listened to my sad story. She said they would retrieve my card from the ATM machine, but that might take several days.

She would send me an email, when they got my card at the bank, and I could get it then. This means another trip to Cartago on the bus! But she did show me how to open my umbrella, so I would not get wet on the walk to the bus, that was not too far away.

I have enough cash on hand, to last me for at least a week, so I am in no immediate danger. Just worn out from all the hassle.

No comments:

Post a Comment