Saturday, October 13, 2018

Social Security online (ssa.gov) can't be used, if you live in another country

I reside in Costa Rica, and I have an ID card from here (my Cedula), that identifies me down here.

But I use a post office box (in Cartago, the nearest large town) when dealing with my American Social Security, back in the States.

I opened my box recently, and there was another Social Security form in it, requesting my latest information. They had sent me the same form earlier, and I had replied to it, and got a receipt for sending that letter, from the Costa Rica post office. I didn't keep the receipt, because I assumed the letter had been delivered.

I was wrong. The Post Office here is defective, in a number of ways. And for that reason, it is not used much for mailing anything. Companies use local delivery services (guys on motorcycles) instead.

To get anything (mail or packages) from the States, I use Aeropost.com. A company that gives me an address in Miami. When it gets anything there, it flies it to Coast Rica. If it is a package, it runs it through Customs, and then charges me for the whole thing. It's not cheap, but it is reliable.

I thought I would go online, but quickly found this was impossible. Its forms assume you live in the States.

No comments:

Post a Comment